Types of advertising in marketing can be defined as those alternative ways/mediums at the disposal of a marketer that is used to inform, educate and convince a customer to try a product.
Or rather, that can be used to turn potential clients into clients.
The purpose of article is to enlighten you on the types of advertising
So let’s dive into the various kinds of advertising you need to know…
Let’s now dive into those mediums — otherwise known as Types Of Advertising that can be used to aid the success of the kinds of advert i shared earlier.
10 Different Types Of Advertising In Marketing
1. Online advertising
Also known as display advertising… This refer to the promotion of ideas, goods or services by an identified sponsor via the internet
in other words, online advertising is simply any form of promotion that is conveyed using the internet.
The number of smartphone users is rapidly increasing globally. With this in know, marketers are more now focused on offering mobile web-based advertisements, which are expected to have a positive impact on the market growth.
Examples of online advertising:
- Facebook ads
- Google search result page ads
Advantages of online advertising:
- It enables a marketer or advertiser runs a particular ad that can be targeted to a specific person of specific age of a specific location and at a specific time.
- In terms of pricing, digital advertising is very affordable when compared to all other forms of advertising.
- It’s a major strategy used in starting and growing and online business
- It require a certain level of expertise to set up which everyone can easily navigate.
- It could lead to waste of time and money if not done properly
- Sometimes people do not pay attention to the ads or ignore it.
- It’s prone to spam/spamming
2. Television ads.
Before the global spread of smart phones and internet access, television advertising was the most popular medium of them all.
Proceedings like the Olympics, FIFA world cup, super bowl… happen to be the major focus of top advertisers and marketers to advertise their product.
However, you won’t really blame them because television is none to have an extensive reach…
…and back then when targeting very large market in a large area was the norm, television was the major go-to medium.
Furthermore, this medium of advertising is still key to a large extent…
But the new normal of online streaming on mobile and personal computers — has made marketers move from television to online as their most preferred advertising medium.
Advantages of television advertising.
- For reaching very large audiences
- The advantage of sight, sound, movement and colour to persuade a customer to buy from you.
- When there’s need to demonstrate how your product or service works, television advertising is very key.
- It’s very expensive
Advertising is sold in units (e.g. 20, 30, 60 seconds) and expense vary according to:
- the time slot
- the television program
- whether it is metro or regional
- if you want to buy spots on multiple networks.
Print media advertising is a type of advertising that uses physically printed media, such as magazines and newspapers, to reach consumers, business customers and prospects.
Arguably, print media is drifting backwards. Still effective to an extent, but slowly rolling down the ladder.
Similar to television advertising, there was days when printing was a solid and highly reliable medium for creating awareness and influencing sales.
Although it still does, but since the explosion of television usage, print advertisements have taken a backseat.
Example of print advertising:
- Brochures and handouts
- It guarantees a solid reach (very effective for boutique business owners)
- It’s expensive
4. Global ads
Global advertising is not the same as international advertising.
Global ads is a type of advertising whereby a single advertisement or message is created, used and displayed globally.
Here, the same way a message on a produced is aired or displayed in America…
…is the same way it will be aired or displayed in United kingdom, Australia, Canada etc. As long as the organization’s product is present in that country.
International ads is a type of advertising whereby the promotional message or advertisement are made, altered, and displayed to reflect regional, national, and local market.
Marketers understand consumers are emotional buyers and will most likely relate to anything that portraits or support their culture.
In other words, international advertisement are created in relation to cultural differences and preferences of every country.
The way an advert will be aired in America will be different from that of Saudi Arabia for the same product… This is because the marketer understands cultural differences, language – amongst other factors — is to be considered.
It’s very unlikely that (ads above) will make sense to Americans.
Apple ads are known to be the most effective global ads. They also are known for not endorsing any celebrities to promote the product. The ads are homogeneous and run through the entire world in the English.
5. Ads in theater.
Also known as movie or cinema ads…
This is the type of advertising we see before the beginning of movies or during announcement.
Movie ads are judge to be one of the coolest advertising mediums. Of course — because you and I can’t actually skip it or move away.
- Unlike online advertising, here the entire message usually reaches the whole audience. Because the audience can’t interfere with it.
- It’s affordable
Like other forms of advertising, cinema advertising rates vary, based on:
- The length of the ad: 15, 30 or 60 seconds.
- The number of theaters the ad will appear in. The number of screens within those theaters the ads will appear on.
- …duration of the advertising campaign.
Also known as out-of- home advert…
This refer to all marketing strategies geared towards creating awareness for a particular product or service outside the home of an organization’s target audience.
It consists of displaying large posters, banners etc with a promotional message (advertisements). These ads are usually displayed on very large building, road site etc.
Types of out of home advert include:
- Retail advertising
- Stunt advertising
- Transit… etc.
According to Statista, outdoor marketing revenue in the US amassed eight billion dollars in 2018.
That simply tells you outdoor marketing strategy isn’t dead. YET!
Lately, this particular type of advertising might be seen as old fashioned thanks to the rise of the Internet and other types of media.
Reports also has is it that their audience has decreased… but how about it effectiveness when strategically utilized?
Because i am not a fan of hearsay, i actually did some research on radio out —reach and below is a snippet:
This is why i love radio advertising:
Every single feature and benefit of the product are often explained on radio, unlike other sources of advertising…
8. Electronic mail advertising (online)
This is a type of advertising that has to do with sending promotion messages of a product or service directly to subscribers of your newsletter.
Here’s the kicker:
email advertising is not as simple as sending out a single standard email to thousands of people on a email list.
It involves planning and designing on your part, and it also involves getting customers to read and take action.
- The message can be directed to specific customers and thus it is selective.
- It can be spread over a wide territory
- It gives room for detailed explanation on the benefits and features of the product or service.
9. Product placement
Also known as covert advertising…
This is a unique marketing strategy whereby:
An organization with the intention of promoting their product have it embedded in another body of work…
…usually an entertainment media such as Tv shows, movies or films etc.
Although the placement or reference to a company’s brand or product could be voluntarily done in situations whereby it naturally suit the occasion…
…it’s often done on purpose in exchange for a compensation from the company
Most importantly, the product or brand is never talked about at all in most cases…
It’s just there for viewers to see. Primarily to influence them.
Finally: This promotional strategy is often leveraged in movies than television programs.
The 2009 movie Star Trek, featured James Kirk drives operating a Nokia touch-screen smartphone.
The movie I Robot of 2004 also featured will smith with his converse all start shoes. A couple of beer brands was also featured in the movie How I Met Your Mother.
10. Guerilla advertising
This strategy involves using unconventional methods and ideas to promote a product or service. One that doesn’t look, feel or seen like marketing at all.
In most cases, it could be:
- An interesting product packaging that makes customers do like a double take. Something they really kind of appreciate, get confused/excited… at the very least, makes customers be like; what’s even going on?
- A captivating street art that’s on point and trending
- Social awareness campaign etc
- Plus: it could come in any media style… Be it text, image, video etc.
Guerrilla advertising is all about surprise. And that’s why it’s very effective and recommended for small business owners.
Imagine walking into a bus like this:
For the very first time, you’re more likely to take a picture of it and share and talk more about it with family and friends…
…by doing all of those, you’re promoting the Copenhagen zoo (Denmark).
- It’s cheap, very very affordable.
- It’s very captivating, memorable and makes a more deeper emotional impact to be remembered for a long time.
Use the comment section…
let me know your favourite advertising type and why. Personally i like guerrilla. That’s why i saved it for last.
I would like to know yours too.
…that’s a wrap on the types of advertising. Thanks for stopping by.
- Olarenwaju, I.A. and Ismail, M. (2014). Introduction to Advertising and Public Relations. Illorin: SAN commercial press.